Sunday, February 22nd, 2009
Bryan Alexander, NITLE
No internet at an eLearning conference???? Having to type this locally to upload later – that is so 2002. Seeing me rant/type about this a fellow attendee leans over to share a passcode. Thanks !
Before he can even start his computer BSOD’s. However, he humorously works through it.
- Web2.0 everyone hates the term, but still uses it.
- Linkedin – one of the most unsexy, most highly used services.
- Wiki is not a new tech, everyone knows it. What is surprising is the huge curve that we have seen – great example from ibm.
- Tag Clouds – ” for the first time in human history, normal people care about metadata” :)
- Digital storytelling: Don’t tell people that you are going to teach them text, tell them that you are going to teach a new way to tell a story. Shows some great image mashups.
- Feedbacks loops.
- Forced to skip through a bunch of slides. Wait. That. Looked. Cool
- Web 3D via Second Life or Google Earth. Sexy but unexciting (to me).
- Semantic Web – intelligent meta data. Unsexy, but awesome! (at least to me).
- Mobile web. (nuff said).
- Easier to talk about porn or murder in academia.
- Call it “simulation” to make people feel for people in education.
- Average gamer is in their 30’s.
- Laptops are now made for games – not just outlook.
- There is a Kafka game (that is surreal and frustrating)?
- Gaming takes/creates literacy of a type.
- Simulation games are goog for comparison/criticizing actual events. Reminds me of this on BoingBoing where parents ask their child to honor the Geneva Conventions while playing Call of Duty.