Monday, February 23rd, 2009
Dr. Deborah Newton and Ryan Schrenk,
MSU – Great Falls College of Technology
Starts with a bunch of online tools to break the ice. None really have to do with the topic at hand, but interesting none-the-less.
Slides are on slideshare.
Now to the session at hand…
Huge growth in distance learning. I hear that.
Working on integrated system of support
- Single point of contact for student.
- Packaged evaluation with end of course assessment. However, only 700 responses for 2000 students.
- How do you meet students “at the door” when at a distance. Created online advising course.
- Making early contact – they start by calling every student by telephone.
In advising room:
- Portal for links to advising information on the website. (not recreating content)
- Advising sheets per program.
- Advising Dropbox – fill out and submit advising sheet each term.
- Discussion board – student driven topics.