Backyard wine experiment

Sunday, October 19th, 2008

There are some tremendous grape vines growing on the south side of my house. The vines were planted years ago by my landlord and each year we get buckets of concord, himrod, and canadice grapes. Usually, we make a little juice or jelly and let the rest go to the birds. This year, Jamie and I decided to take a chance on wine.

Took most of the day to pick, de-stem and crush grapes. A press would have expedited the process, but we did fairly well with just a colander and an old pot. At the end of the day, we had 22 gallons brewing. 12 of concord, 5 of candice and 5 of a medially (mixed). This should produce at least 50 bottles of … something. Each brew was a different color. I will add the yeast tomorrow.

If it seems to be brewing well – I will come back and add the recipe.

One Response to “Backyard wine experiment”

  1. gabriel mcgovern (dot com) | Archive » Backyard wine update Says:

    […] It has been just over 2 weeks since Jamie and I spent the day picking grapes. […]

Leave a Reply

You know you want to...